Triethyl Phosphate is a colorless liquid compound that goes by the chemical formula C6H15O4P, it’s a triester of phosphoric acid and ethanol and is often known as ‘phosphoric acid, triethyl ester’. This element is primarily used as an industrial catalyst, plasticizer and polymer resin modifier in industrial applications.
Moreover, it can also be used as an intermediate substance in the creation of pesticides, including a fortifying agent for rubber and plastic materials such as vinyl polymers. Despite all these uses, the compound can still be dangerous when not handled correctly. Below is a triethyl phosphate msds that can be used for safety purposes.
If someone accidentally ingests the substance, don’t induce vomiting immediately but instead examine the lips and mouth to determine whether tissues have been damaged. This is a possible sign that the substance was ingested.
Nevertheless, the absence of these signs doesn’t mean that there has been no toxic exposure. To assist the victim, loosen tight clothing like collar, waistband, belt or tie and if the victim isn’t breathing try mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
II. Skin contact
In case of direct skin contact, wash thoroughly with a lot of water. Preferably use running water and non-abrasive soap for the cleaning and be extra careful to run water on folds, creases, crevices and groin. Additionally, cover the irritated part with an emollient and remember to wash the contaminated clothing before re-using again.
For serious skin contact, wash with a mild disinfectant soap and cover the affected part with an anti-bacterial ointment.
For breathing accident, the patient should be allowed to rest in a well-ventilated room after the process and seek immediate medical assistance.
For maximum safety, keep the substance away from direct heat or other sources of ignition. Moreover, empty containers may burst into flames and it’s therefore appropriate to evaporate the residue material under a fume-hood.